Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam---Yum!

I love when strawberries are in season.One of my favorite treats to make is Strawberry Freezer Jam.  It's super easy to make.  I just buy the Sure-Jell Fruit Pectin, which usually has an easy recipe with directions inside the box.  For this batch, I used 4 pt of strawberries, which is a double batch of jam.  It took me maybe 15 minutes to make up the whole batch and put them in their containers.  I used my mini food processor to mash the strawberries, even though they recommend using a potato masher.  I was just careful to not over-process the strawberries so they were still a little chunky. I also wanted to try using a different kind of container.  In the past I have used the Ball canning jars, but I get completely annoyed about storing them until the next year.....there never seems to be a neat / organized way to store jars without them taking up all of my cabinet space.  So...I decided to use stackable freezer safe Glad containers this year.  Hopefully they will do just as well as the jars did. 

In the end, this double batch yielded 12 containers of strawberry jam.  I think we'll have plenty until next summer and will even be able to share with some friends.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment